Sunday, October 9, 2011

Blog Reflection: SUCCESS.

As previously stated, I have taken part in this type of activity before. I think it is definitely beneficial for beginning or intermediate writers. Freewriting gets the mind pumping and therefore, jumps starts the writing process. In school, I liked freewriting because it helped me to come up with what to say more easily for my next writing assignments. I mostly liked freewriting because it was a free 10-15 minute break from hearing my teacher talk. She let us write quietly so we could clear our mind and focus.
          However, this exercise is only beneficial if you cooperate. Just like anything in life, "it is what you make it to be." Thankfully, I chose to let this assignment be helpful to me and my writing. Like any kid, I didn't like actually doing the work because I was sort of lazy through high school. I am trying to rid that laziness. Anyway, once I finally bucked up and dealt with the fact that I needed to get over being a lazy teenager, the more I got into freewriting, the better it helped me. Even if I drew lines on my paper, it didn't matter as long as the pencil never stopped touching the paper. That forces your mind to think and write about your next thought and triggers the sequential thoughts until you don't even notice it anymore. 
          On the other hand, back to my old ways, I did not like this assignment because of the fact that we had to blog every single day for three weeks. I went for a couple of days where I was unable to create a post therefore causing me to have to make up those posts on other days and the work was piling and piling. I still find it hard to buckle down and just DO IT. That's partially why it is 11:03 p.m. and I am just now doing this reflection post. I am glad this project was assigned but I don't believe it was as beneficial as it would have been had we done the activity on paper.
          I encountered a few successes and challenges with this project as well. When we were still doing our This I Believe essays, the freewriting came in handy to kick start our thoughts. However, after the assignment, I felt as though we were jump starting our brains for writing ideas for no reason. My biggest challenge was mustering up the gumption to sit down and type 300+ words each day. Stated earlier, I believe it would have been better if I wrote my thoughts on paper. I suppose I could have done that and just typed what I hand wrote. But that thought didn't occur to me until just now. Oops.
          I cannot tell any noticeable change in my writing but I think as time goes on and the writing assignments resurface, I will find that I gained a new strength over the course of free-blogging.
            I look forward to seeing how we all can grow as writers together and talk about how we can continue growing! After all, there is ALWAYS room for growth. :)

Have a great week, everyone!

1 comment:

Ms. A said...

You make an excellent point here in that students have choices. You can choose to engage and let an assignment be a journey of change, or choose to not engage and get by. I am certainly glad you choose to invest. The blog looks great and I hope you keep writing. ~Ms. A.